You Spoke, We Listened
At engagementhq HQ we’re always looking for ways to make your life just that little bit easier. Not so long ago, our development team released a neat new feature allowing you to clone surveys. This proved particularly useful for clients who set up a long of consistent “contact” forms, as well as for clients using longer and more complex surveys. The one-click cloning helps ensure the integrity of the survey content and structure from one campaign to the next.
Given the success of this ‘toe in the water’ approach to cloning, the dev-team started to think about taking it a HUGE step further, and wondered whether it might be possible to clone entire projects. And so, after many months of thinking, designing, coding, testing, fixing, re-testing, and re-fixing, here it is!
The Nitty Gritty
These are the key things you need to know:
- Project cloning allows you to clone a project’s structure in its entirety.
- Only a project’s functions and features will be cloned, NOT the content itself.
- This means that if you have a forum with five topics enabled, the clone will only have the forum enabled, but no topics. This is the same for all tools.
- The exception is the survey tool which allows you to clone individual surveys in a separate step.
- Most of your widgets will be cloned empty, but there are a couple of exceptions:
Facebook: Your FB widget will be cloned with its previous configurations
Instagram: Instagram will be cloned as it was set up as in the original project
Custom: All your custom widgets will be cloned with the content copied (e.g. Twitter, Slideshare, etc.)
“Cloning” is easy
In order to clone one of your projects, navigate into the project and click ‘clone’ in the top right hand corner.
This will immediately clone your project and you will be taken to the ‘Details’ page of your cloned project.
Note how your cloned project has -(copy) added to its name and 1 to the permalink.
This means a project that had ‘test’ as its permalink will now show ‘test1’.
You can change both names and permalinks after you have cloned the project.
The new names need to be unique.