Close

Sign-Up for our Newsletter

internet_open

Internet penetration at home and at work: 2008 Sensis eBusiness report

The 2008 Sensis eBusiness report provides a detailed account of internet penetration and home and at work in Australia.

The big findings of the recent Sensis eBusiness report in relation to home based internet us are:

  1. 84% of Australian households now have access to the internet, up 6% from 2007.
  2. 73% of Australian households have Broadband internet connection, up 11% in one year! Just 16% of households with “net” access have a dialup connection.
  3. 61% of households with an income of less than $35,000 are connected, compared to 97% of households with an income over $85,000.
  4. 89% of Australian’s have used the internet in the past 12 months, up 3% on 2007.
  5. Those least likely to use the net include; over 65s (56%), retirees (59%), and to a lesser extent, those not in the workforce (89%).
  6. 39% of Australian’s read a blog in the past year, up 7%, and 14% wrote their own blog, up 4%.
  7. 20% of Australian’s now belong to some form on online community, and 36% use social networking sites. Unsurprisingly, social networking sites are used far more by gen Y and younger than Baby Boomers and older. 91% of 14-17 year olds use social networking sites, compared to 4% of 65+ year olds.

And in relation to small and medium sized business (SME) use:

  1. 93% of small and 98% medium sized businesses in Australia have access to the internet.
  2. 54% and 83% of small and medium sized businesses respectively have their own web site.
  3. 57% of SMEs procure stock online, 54% take orders online and 71% make payments online.
  4. 95% of metropolitan and 92% of regional SMEs have access to the internet.
  5. 94% of business internet connections use Broadband (leaving just 6% on Dialup).

It’s worth noting that in the ten years since 1998, internet access in SMEs have risen form 38% to 93%.

The top five uses for the internet in order were:

  1. Email (98%)
  2. Research products and services (89%)
  3. Access reference information & data (84%)
  4. Banking (83%)
  5. Telephone Directories (81%)
Share on Pinterest
Share with your friends










Submit
Print Friendly
Don't show the newsletter popup again

Subscribe to our newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter to receive the latest online community engagement news and views from around the world.

X