Closing the loop to maintain an engaged community
Closing the loop on community engagement projects is often ignored as teams move on to the next exciting or urgent project.
- Include the feedback process to the project timeline / task list / budget.
- Create a process diagram for participants to illustrate the consultation and decision-making process.
- Clearly indicate on the site how the consultation feedback will be used to influence the decision.
- Provide “thank you” letters back to key stakeholders.
- Send “thank you” emails to all online participants.
- Create a consultation report summarising the outcomes of the consultation process.
- Distribute the report in a variety of forms so that it is accessible to as wide an audience as possible.Create a feedback report listing each of the issues and suggestions raised by the community AND the consulting organisation’s response.
- Distribute as above.
- Advise participants of the decision-making process henceforth.
- Advise participants when a decision has been taken.
- Consider preparing a feedback “video” rather than paper report.