The UK Consult, Episode 34, starring Becky Hirst, author of #1 Amazon Civics best seller: For the Love of Community Engagement, global Community Engagement Day co-Instigator, mentor, trainer, public speaker, and business owner.
Welcome to the UK Consult, our occasional ramble through all things about public consultation and citizen engagement in the UK, with special guests and lovely examples of online public consultation from around the world!
In this episode, ardent community engagement practitioner and young Turk, Becky Hirst and Jonno share tales of their love (and hate (kind of)) for community engagement. In possibly the most detailed book review ever, during this recording, Jonno turned the pages of Becky’s book, For The Love of Community Engagement (live in the studio) and the result is an epic session of shared stories and a dose of consultation catharsis.
Main Topics and Key Questions
- Who else remembers saying Thatcher, Thatcher the milk snatcher? Rainbow drops? A computer room at work!
- Is there an emergency in community engagement?
- Jonno coins a new phrase, “Citizen Churn.”
- The importance of community immersion for public consultation practitioners
- The value of storytelling and how #NotAnotherSurvey just is not good enough for meaningful engagement
- Why Becky is unhappy with Have Your Say
- The need for leaders who are good listeners and a call for community engagement professionals to have a seat at the top table
- Why we must “have reams and reams of evidence, for those who need convincing about the value of community engagement
- Dadirri or inner deep listening and why it matters
- Why do we need to go back to the future to fix citizen engagement and the public sphere
All this in one episode! Grab a cake and a coffee and take your time with this bumper episode of public consultation goodness.
Until next time!
Duration: 1 hr 1 min